Built as a private residence about 1830, Danbury Place became Danbury Palace when it was sold to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1845 as an episcopal residence. The formal gardens and shrubbery walks were laid out at this time by the resident bishops. The building and lands changed hands a number of times eventually becoming Mid-Essex Technical College in 1959 when they updated the gardens with new tree planting.
Liz Lake Associates were approached to help return the formal gardens to suitable, usable outdoor spaces for C21st families whilst respecting their historic associations as the Palace is returned to residential use.
We prepared a review of the remaining garden structure and proposals for rejuvenating them for current day use. We used a consistent palette of plants and shrubs through the existing gardens and into the new residential front gardens and public spaces to ensure continuity within the Palace surrounds.
Our work contributed to a successful submission for planning approval. We are pleased to be continuing to work at Danbury preparing and administering the implementation contracts for the soft landscape works. Development work is now well underway.